I forgot how much I love sweet potatoes until last night. Of all the foods that I am allergic to, I think I have missed sweet potatoes the most. If you all don’t already include sweet potatoes into your diet. DO! They taste like sweet goodness, especially when they are roasted.
For my first time having sweet potatoes, I decided to have a salad like the sweet potato, green bean, apple, and lentil salad I made here.
I liked that salad, but I decided to change it up a bit.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 can or 1 1/2 cups of cooked chickpeas
- 1 large apple to 2 small apples
- 4 cups of green beans or one bag frozen
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 Tbsp mustard
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425. Chop your sweet potatoes and drizzle them with a little oil. Season with cinnamon and toss. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are nice and done.
- In the last 10 minutes of cooking, add your green beans to a large skillet. I used an entire bag of Kroger's long green beans.
- When those are defrosted and starting to warm through, add in your chopped apples.
- While this cooks, put your walnuts in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. This is the quick way to "toast" your walnuts! 🙂
- After the apples are starting to cook, add in your chickpeas and sweet potatoes. Stir to combine.
- Mix up your dressing and pour over top of the salad. Toss well.
Top with walnuts.
I am so glad to be eating sweet potatoes again. I LOVE them. Let’s just hope they love me too…
What food could you not live without?