After so many responses from yesterday’s eats, I thought I would share my gluten free dumplings with you all.
I LOVE dumplings. Always have. My grandmother used to make chicken and dumplings all the time. I never liked chicken, so she would always make me my own special pot of just dumplings. She knew how to spoil me.
When I found out that I had to be gluten free, I was so afraid that I wouldn’t be able to eat like I used to. However, I have been able to substitute gluten free flours pretty easily so far.
I have to avoid several others foods due to allergies and intolerances right now to try to heal my tummy. This recipe is a spin off of a recipe I posted previously called Faux Chicken and Dumplings. Feel free to check that one out. It is not gluten free. However, you could make that soup and top it with these gluten free dumplings.
I give you my favorite vegetable soup with gluten free dumplings!
- 1 leek, chopped*
- 1 parsnip, chopped*
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 cups frozen green beans
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp curry
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or other white bean**
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- Gluten-free Dumplings:
- 1/2 cup all purpose gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond)
- 1 Tbsp applesauce
- *can sub onion and carrot for the leek and parsnip
- **can sub real cooked chicken here if preferred (see that Luvy… it is COOKED) I’ll have to tell that story sometime…
- Add a bit of olive oil to the bottom of your dutch oven. Toss in chopped leek and parsnip. Cook until starting to softened.
- Stir in green beans, garlic, and seasonings. Cook until fragrant. Pour in broth, beans, and apple cider vinegar. Bring to a boil.
- Put arrowroot in a small bowl and add in some water. Stir to remove all lumps. Add this to the soup and stir well. Bring back to a boil then turn heat to low.
- Allow soup to simmer while making dumplings.
- To make dumplings, combine flours, soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Combine milk and applesauce in another bowl.
- Slowly combine the wet into the dry. Stir until dough forms. Do not overmix!
- Spoon dough on top of stew.
- Cover with lid and allow to cook 15-17 minutes on low.
- Do not lift the lid!!
Oh, and I was also asked about the homemade applesauce that I posted yesterday. I meant to tag that… the recipe can be found here!
Recipe for my pumpkin buckwheat to come!
Hope you all have a great Thursday!
Do you all ever cook gluten free?
What foods would you/ do you miss the most if you were/are gluten free?? I miss doughy pizza!