There is no denying I love Indian food.
I originally found a recipe for Tarka Dhal from Ashley, and I really enjoyed it. Like any foodie, I decided to experiment and make it my own. It took me several tries until I felt like I perfected it.
That was a lot of Indian to eat… no one around here was complaining though!
Plus, with eggplant in season right now, it is the perfect transition to fall meal!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 eggplant, chopped
- 2 cups chopped butternut or other winter squash
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 5-6 cups of water
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- fresh basil
- basmati rice, cooked
- Start by sautéing your onion and cumin seeds in 1-2 Tbsp olive oil in a deep stockpot or saucepan.
- Don't let this burn!
- Add in your eggplant through water. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 30- 45 minutes. You want everything to incorporate and break down.
- Taste test along the way and adjust salt and pepper to your liking.
- When it is cooked, add in frozen peas.
- Serve over basmati rice and garnish with fresh basil.
This is such a fast and delicious meal. We have been loving it here, and I know you will too.
Indian food can be intimidating to some. This recipe is sure to please even the skeptics!
Do you like Indian food?
Are you itching to make more fall type foods?