Cooking breakfast or going out to breakfast is a very special thing to Luvy and me. I saw a recipe on The First Mess that I was dying to try, but I didn’t have all the ingredients.
A couple weeks ago when we were so snowed in, I decided to make something similar and let my intuition guide me.
Sometimes this works…. other times it is a disaster. Thankfully, I got 2 thumbs up from Luvy on this Buckwheat, Millet, and Apple Breakfast Bake!
It’s nice to change up breakfast a bit every now and then, right?
- 1.5 cups raw buckwheat
- 1/2 cup raw millet
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ground flax
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 pumpkin pie spice
- dash of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups milk- I used cashew
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 large apple, diced
- 1/2 cup blueberries (I used frozen)
- 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Start by putting your buckwheat and millet in a blender and blend slightly until cracked in half.
- Pour that into a large bowl and add flax, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Stir to combine.
- In another bowl or in your measuring cup, mix together milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Grease a 9 inch pie dish.
- Pour about 1/3 of the liquid in the bottom on the dish. Place 1/2 of your buckwheat and millet mixture on top. Then, layer half of your apples and blueberries on top.
- Pour another 1/3 of the liquid and repeat steps above. Last, you will pour the final 1/3 of the liquid over the top and add the melted coconut oil.
- Bake 45 minutes or until the top is golden and everything is set and cooked through.
We served with more maple syrup and yogurt.
Even Baby D loved this dish!
I have a feeling both the boys will be asking for this again very soon. We may be having another snow day this week….. Let’s pray not! I’m so ready for spring and for us to thaw out a bit.
What is the last new breakfast dish you have tried? Make sure you pin this so you can try it for yourself!
When you have extra time to make a special breakfast, what do you make?