Happy Thursday friends!
This morning I have a doctor’s appointment, so I thought instead of you all listening to me ramble and whine about my appointment this morning I would finally share a recipe that I have been promising.
My favorite meal of the day is breakfast. I LOVE breakfast food. One of my current obsessions is buckwheat muffins. They are super quick, filling, and have protein to keep me full.
A while back, I did a guest post for my sweet friend Ashley on my gluten free Protein Blackberry and Blueberry Buckwheat Muffins.
Since I never posted it for you guys, I thought I would today.
- 3 Tbsp buckwheat flour
- 1/2 scoop protein powder (I used Sunwarrior)
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds (can sub 1 egg)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup milk (I use almond or hemp milk)
- 1/2 cup blueberries and/or blackberries (I used frozen)
- Mix flour, protein powder, chia seeds, and baking powder in bowl. Add in applesauce and milk. You may need more milk if the mix is too dry. This depends on your protein powder. Plus, the chia seeds will absorb a lot of the milk. Add in berries and microwave on high for 3 1/2 minutes.
- Top with nut butter, fresh berries, and maple syrup.
I recommend lots of nut butter!! 🙂
I’m not always in the mood for blueberry and blackberries, plus there is a ton of fresh fruit available right now. So, I also thought I might share how to change it up a bit!
A favorite of mine is to chop up 1/2 of a peach and put it in instead of the berries. When you do more whole fresh fruit, there is naturally more moisture. You may not need as much milk or applesauce in that case.
The most recent muffin I made was frozen blueberries in the mix then topped with fresh strawberries and blueberries. The sky is the limit with the combinations!
The small weird brown blob is a new to me butter! I didn’t want to put too much at first in case I didn’t like it. Per usual… I LOVED IT!
Feel free to experiment with different fruits! Or even switch out the applesauce for another puree, maybe pumpkin or yogurt??
What is your go to breakfast in the mornings?
Do you like a sweet or savory breakfast?
Let me know what combinations you come up with! I would love new ideas!!