This is one of our favorite lentil recipes. I swear by lentils… I LOVE lentils.
Enough of my dying love of lentils. 🙂 Sadly, I had tucked this recipe away and almost forgot about it until my friend Carla made it for us when we brought Baby Delight home.
I posted this recipe way back in 2011… April 11, 2011 to be exact. The problem with it then was that only my family read my blog then. (HI fam…love you!)
Nothing wrong with that, but you all were missing out on this delectable meal. So here it is again!
Plus, sloppy joes are a childhood rite of passage. You aren’t human unless you have had a sloppy joe. Some of us just prefer them vegetarian style. 😉
Lentil Sloppy Joes (recipe adapted from Post Punk Kitchen Snobby Joes)
- 1 cup green lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, diced
- 2.5 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- few grinds of black pepper
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup of tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp spicy mustard (gluten free if needed)
- Put lentils and 4 cups of water on to boil. Once boiling, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain.
- While lentils are cooking, saute onion and bell pepper with water until it is softened. Add in garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add in lentils and seasonings. Mix well. Stir in tomato sauce and paste. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add in maple syrup and mustard. Heat through. Let stand for a few minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve over bread, brown rice, or over greens.
The first time I posted it and even now, Luvy says he likes it better than traditional sloppy joes. That’s saying something friends!
What is your favorite way to make lentils?
Sloppy Joes.. yay or nay?
Favorite childhood food?