Happy Thursday friends!!
I hope you all are having a wonderful week. My week has zipped right on by! Today is my Friday… not to rub it in or anything. 😉
Jambalaya is Luvy’s absolute favorite meal, and I love making it for him. It is so easy!
This is made at our house so much year round, but it is my favorite when the weather is starting to cool down. I was going to wait to share the recipe until I made it again and could take step by step pictures, but I was so excited I couldn’t wait! Hope you guys don’t mind!!
There is a vegan and a meat lovers option, so it is sure to please anyone!! Plus, it s a great way to use up that summer okra!
- 4 sausages**, chopped
- One large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 4 celery sticks, chopped
- 20-25 fresh okras, chopped or one bag of frozen chopped okra
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (I used frozen Trader Joes!)
- 2 tsp each of parsley, basil, oregano
- 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- **You can feel free to make this vegan by using Tofurky or Field Roast sausages. I used Trader Joe's Chicken Sausages with Jalapenos. They don't have the pork casing, so they are very lean! I have yet to find a gluten free and vegan alternative.
- Chop sausages while preheating your dutch oven over medium heat. Spray the bottom of the pan or pour in some olive oil.
- Add your sausages and stir frequently until browned.
- Add in onion, pepper, celery, and okra. Cook until vegetables are starting to soften. Maybe 10 minutes?
- Add in seasonings and garlic. Stir to coat. Allow to cook for 1 minute.
- Next, add in tomatoes and vegetable broth. I used no salt added tomatoes and broth, so I added in 3/4 tsp of salt here. Add in salt and pepper to your liking.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in rice and allow to cook for 10 more minutes so the rice absorbs the flavor.
- Serve with your favorite hot sauce!
Let me know what you think!! 🙂
Are you a fan of spicy things?
What is your favorite hot sauce?
What are your plans for the weekend??