There is nothing more warming and healing when you are sick than soup.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup to be exact. This was exactly what we all needed after dealing with the flu. It was warming, filling, and completely delicious.
When I’m sick, I don’t have much of an appetite, so soup is perfect. Plus, my throat was raw from coughing a lot. This soup was easy to eat and very gentle on my throat.
- 1.5 cups butternut squash, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5-6 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups shredded chicken*
- ~3 cups homemade broth
- 6 cups water
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 2 cups brown rice pasta
- 1 tsp salt and pepper or to taste
- Saute celery, onion, butternut squash, and mushrooms in a heavy bottomed stockpot with 2 Tbsp oil until softened.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until noodles are cooked through.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
*If you are vegetarian, feel free to sub chickpeas for the chicken. Another great soup when you are sick is Split Pea Soup with Butternut Squash.
Baby D even gulped it down!
I think this will be a staple even when we aren’t sick! Make sure you Pin it below for when you have a sick day!
Do you crave soup when you are sick?
What is your favorite type of soup?