I don’t know why I only make this bread around St. Patrick’s Day.
So many of you asked what Irish Soda Bread recipe I use, and so your wish is my command. This is based off of a recipe that I posted back in 2012, but I think this version is much better!
- 2/3 cup Namaste Foods Gluten Free Perfect Four Blend
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup sweet sorghum flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar**
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 Tbsp egg replacer mixed with 3 Tbsp water
- 3/4 cup of almond milk with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar added (or 3/4 cup of buttermilk)
- 2 Tbsp applesauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup raisins (I omitted)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, mix wet ingredients. Slowly mix wet into dry. After mixed, gently fold in raisins if using
- Oil and lightly flour a 8 in round cake pan. Put batter into the pan and make a round loaf.
- Use a knife to score the bread in an X, and lightly dust top of loaf with flour.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
I love serving it with my Irish Potato and Cabbage Stew… or just eaten warm on it’s own!
**Personally, I don’t like a really sweet bread, so 2 Tbsp was plenty of sugar for us. If you like a sweeter bread, feel free to increase it up to 1/3 of a cup. Also, feel free to add 1/3 cup of raisins to the mix. Like I said before, I don’t care for sweet bread, so I omitted that. This week, I’ve posted 2 recipes!!! What is up with me?? I’m on a roll!! 🙂 Enjoy!! What is your favorite kind of bread? Have you tried soda bread before? Sweet or savory bread?