Today was a restful day. Even though we have a ton going on and to do, we came home from church today and napped. I slept for an hour and half! It was fantastic!!
Our dinner last night hit the spot! I love quinoa because it is an ancient grain that is packed full of nutrients. It is extremely high in protein. Plus, this summer has already been a hot one, so the cold salad was refreshing.
- 1 cup quinoa dry (I mixed white and red)
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 red onion chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes cut in 1/2 (I used 2 romas and just cut around the seeds)
- couple handfuls of fresh spinach or arugula
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped (or more!)
- 2 Tbsp craisins (opt)
- garnish: avocado and pecans
- Rinse your quinoa. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil and add in quinoa. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until you can see the little white shell starting to separate from the quinoa. Drain off liquid and let quinoa cool. Chop your veggies and mix with quinoa. Mix in lemon juice, cilantro, and craisins. Adjust lemon juice and cilantro as needed. You may want to add in some salt and pepper. Top with avocado and pecans. Don't skimp on the avocado... it makes the dish!
I was out of avocado, and it was a bummer. I am slowly working on the blog to update it. This is including the recipe page!! Stay tuned!
Tonight started the beginning of summer book club!! We are reading Sex and the City Uncovered by Marian Jordan. It is going to be a great summer. It talks about how we are all searching for love, and most of us are searching in the wrong places.
Starting next week, I will be posting what we discuss each Sunday night!
Happy Birthday, Barbara! You are such a blessing to me, and I thank God everyday for putting you in my life.