You all know that I’ve been down with something for the past month. They aren’t sure if it was bronchitis or pneumonia, but all I know is that this was the worst illness I’ve had in over 7 years. I would prefer to never do it again.
After 3 rounds of antibiotics, steroids, and inhalers, I think I am finally on the upswing! Praise the Lord!!
It has been killing me, because I signed up to do Tina’s Best Body Bootcamp this round. Although I have been doing it, I haven’t been able to give it my all. So, today I thought we could chat a bit about how to get back into working out after you have been sick, and how I’m doing BBB while recovering.
***I am not a doctor or personal trainer. Please speak with your doctor before making any changes to your exercise routine.***
1. Get clearance from your doctor before heading back to the gym. This is for your safety as well as the safety of others. You don’t need to head back in there too soon if your body isn’t ready, because this can prolong healing. Plus, no one else wants your germs and whatever illness you have!
2. Don’t exercise with a fever, chest congestion, cough, or body aches. This is not going to help you get better, and could prolong the illness.
3. Take it slow to avoid delaying recovery. Don’t expect to PR on anything. You are probably still very weak from being sick. Take things slow and see how your body responds. You may want to go at a slower pace than usual, cut your exercise time in half, decrease weight, and reduce the number of days you work out to allow yourself to fully heal.
(recycled pic- the weight I would be using pre illness)
For me, I can’t do the weight that I usually would for BBB, so I decreased my weights. Also, I start coughing when I get too hot, so I’ve been walking instead of running or the elliptical.
4. Monitor yourself during workouts. If you start to feel weak, dizzy, light headed, or “sick” at all, STOP. Give your self a couple more days to heal, and then try again.
5. Keep yourself hydrated. Your body is still flushing out toxins, so keep it hydrated. Drink lots of water and limit drinks that are high in sugar and caffeine.
I am bad at this, so I chose drinking lots of water as one of my goals for BBB. I nailed it 5 days this past week. I still drank water the other 2 days, just not as much as I challenged myself to.
6. Sleep. Make sure you are getting plenty of sleep while you are still recovering. Your body heals itself when it is resting, so rest up!
Getting 7 hours of sleep a night was my 2nd goal for BBB. Needless to say, I got this one every night… plus some. :)
7. Slowly increase intensity and number of days you work out. As you start to feel better and get stronger, you can increase intensity, duration, and number of days at the gym.
I know it can be hard to step back and rest. You might feel like you are going to get behind in your training or halt progress. Sure you might get behind a little. However, if you hit the gym too early, you will extend your sickness and be out even longer. Plus, when you are sick your workouts aren’t nearly as effective.
Take the time to heal and do right by your body. It will thank you!
What are your tips for getting back into working out after an illness?